View Thread

Print Thread
Of Relic and Hardcoding.
noodle
Cause knowledge is restricted? I'm not saying anything like "use other peoples work and mold it to fit our situation."

I'm saying: obviously you guys don't know how to (insert whatever here). I'm using additional formations as an example. So why not ask the other team how they figured out how to add them. What the formations are is up to you guys, but the knowledge of how to do it, who cares where you get that from?

Really, it's no different from learning from a "how to get started moding HW2 guide". Or are you saying you don't use those? So you figured out how to do everything from scratch, is that it?

Don't mean to be a dick, but you seem to completely fail to grasp what I'm saying. I am NOT saying anything about stealing other peoples assets or ideas.
Haruhi is my God(dess).

FinalSeraphim
no, I am grasping what you're saying entirely, but you're not respecting what we strive for, originality, Freedom of our thought, lack of dependence on others. You can't please all the people all the time, we please most the people, most the time. It's a multi-national effort, many minds focused on this particular game, we dont need to borrow from other mods. You're trying too hard to find a way to make yourself right, so please, give it up man, Tel doesn't want this to be a huge FrankenMod, pieced together multiple versions of different mods, This is in all actuality, one of the most complete mods out there, as well as it being complete, it's solid in thought, nothing too far fetched like most mods. alot of them have nothing to offer that we can't replicate ourselves anyway. Just give it up man, PDS is a singular entity, it's a point of pride that it was done the way it was, alone, and unsupervised.. with the exception of the creator itself, tel.

Flexibility is key, and us being able to do anything we want since it is all our material makes this so much better. Lets not forget the Sri Cronies disaster.
I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last... the beginning and your end.

FinalSeraphim
And honestly, Formations, they are worthless. PDS fighters break off and engage as singular units, where as fighters in say, homeworld, did a strafe, then turned around, then strafed again, boring. Formations are purely for show and discipline, where as skill in combat, especially in space where all angles of attack are there to worry about, flying in formation is a sure fire way to what ever afterlife you believe in.

Tristan
You realize that PDS is about to use Axel's work, right? Which was implemented already in SRI's mod.

So the entire "we did everything ourselves" point isn't entirely valid. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing but respect for all of the hard, internal work those involved with PDS have done, Tel especially. But there's no reason to say we're not going to use anyone else's stuff, when clearly we're about to.

But I do agree with the sentiment that formations are worthless. You want battle to be as least orchestrated and mechanical as possible. It won't be realistic unless it's nearly complete chaos.
Edited by Tristan on 06-02-2008 09:19

Homdax
I like formations...Hides

I want formations :whip:
king-o'da'bigfile

FinalSeraphim
Ok, Tristan, I clearly states there were nothing from the other mods, other than models. It's the premise of the mod, it's the functions of the mod, it's how it plays out.

If you start adding all these side factors, you then dilute what the mod is. Models can be adjusted to fit criteria needed by the mod, especially when we find a model that really fits the (Insert Taiidan Ship here) idea. Ya know? I'm mostly excluding models from this, well, most models I guess. But the other stuff, just isn't pds.

FinalSeraphim
FinalSeraphim wrote:
Eh, I guess that explains why they did so good for years! lol. Perhaps the answer you're looking for is, Maybe it's the thrill of finding things out for yourself. Borrowed information is not you learning, it's you just using. And honestly, Nothing I've seen, other than certain models, are really worth using in the mod. It's originality that sets us apart.

This is what I had stated earlier.

noodle
Finding out how to make the UI more useful and add more options isn't PDS? Um...yeah...
Haruhi is my God(dess).

FinalSeraphim
*sigh*....

CIWS2000
You're trying too hard to find a way to make yourself right, so please, give it up man,

i rather think it is the other way around
he brings up a valid argument and no matter how true or accurate his statements and others are, you try to respond and make them look wrong.
accept the fact that this mod, nor any other mod is ever going to be perfect and there is room for improvement here and elsewhere.
this is how progress is made, not by shooting down or shouting down every idea that isnt in line with your own.
someone has an opinion or idea then they are obliged to defend it , even against poorly thought out criticism, and misleading statements of "fact"
Edited by CIWS2000 on 07-02-2008 21:22

FinalSeraphim
See, CIWS, there is a fine line between shooting one down and explaining what the CREATOR wants out of the mod. I am just repeating what he says. I in no way said the mod was perfect, I in no way am trying to belittle him, I am just stating that borrowing the ideas is not in the best wishes of the one who owns the mod. There is no need for them, we have a solid base to work with and in all honesty, none of the other mods have much other than models to use. any adjustments made to the mod is at tels discretion. And he has thoroughly stated that this mod is pure, it is of our own work, it is what we see it as. A true battlespace based upon Newtonian physics.

So next time CIWS, Please read the facts before trying to belittle me in here. I am not here to shoot anyone down, I am just stating fact, what makes us great is that it was done solely here. It is of our own design and ideas.

LordZsar1
I will tell you a secret... none of you feels that the other side argumentates rationally because you speak from different universes.
There is the "end-user side", that is majorly interested in the static final product, there is the "artist side", that is majorly interested in the fluent changing production.
As your views are dictated by natural emphasis, you both feel - rightly - that the other side has to be wrong, which is indeed understandable.
Now you want to know, which side is right from an absolute, meta universal point of view? I have to admit:
That this is beyond my capacities for my view is that of the artist, too.

Homdax
IWS
Regardless, please find some common ground, since otherwise some might feel less welcome here due to some kind of dispute as above.

Fencing
Edited by Homdax on 08-02-2008 10:53
king-o'da'bigfile

TelQuessir
Well I'll tell you this, this dispute really sheds light on our options on V12 since as we know really I am too busy to actually get it off the ground. Unless I got a laptop at work which I dont.

So keep at it, dont see conflict as things to stay away, this is development itself.
Returned to active duty 021108

Homdax
Yes, of course it does...just trying to avoid yugular attacks.Grinead:
king-o'da'bigfile

noodle
Awww...but I like vulgar...oh fine...*goes back to story writing before Homdax brings out his wipe*
Haruhi is my God(dess).

Jump to Forum: