View Thread

Point Defense Systems » General Discussions and Writings » Officers' Lounge
 Print Thread
It's been a long time...
TheMadScienceGuy
It's been a long time, Point Defense Systems. Back then, I went by SRI-Sajuuk, and then by SRI-Emperor. Myself, and a few other PDS Fans (HisDivineShadow, Coldstar & Ironwatsas) embarked on our own journey to develop a mod based on the principles of PDSv11 and NGCS (Next Generation Combat Systems) but with a narrower range of focus and faster gameplay times. This mod evolved into Slipstream: The Price of Freedom, better known as TPOF. And while TPOF made great fame in the Homeworld Community (Still love you guys; you all started my career), It too faded to the background.

Well, I was going to embark on the TPOF reboot project; I've even written some decent testable code against the new engine. However, I don't have the time to dedicate to building and maintaining an entire total conversion myself. Ironwatsas was able to get a hold of me and told me about the recent efforts to reboot PDS. PDS holds a special place in my heart, and was the best mod for Homeworld, even compared to Complex (which, let's be honest...is too damn complex) in my opinion.

So, what am I doing here? Well, some of you may have noticed that HisDivineShadow dropped in a few days ago. I'm trying to get a hold of Coldstar to see if he'd be interested. We're going to lend a hand in rebooting PDS. Now, there hasn't been anything official arranged yet and we're still in talks. I've already been invited to test beta code, and I've even opened up the (Unreleased!) v3.2 code base for scrutiny. We're also going to be taking a look at the law and see if there are any transferable intellectual property rights from TPOF to PDS.

However, we're still shaking hands and discussing this afternoons' tea. Of course, the PDS development team will be making formal announcements if arrangements are made. But I do look forward to working with you all once again, as I've missed this community.

With love, and respect:

TheMadScienceGuy (AKA SRI-Emperor)
Current Project Cars
1. 2012 Honda Civic Si (Daily)
2. 1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (lol turbo)
3. 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe (zzzz)

hisdivineshadow1972
well i have returned. i am facing quite a few real life issues in the coming week..i am having double knee surgery on the 26th, and am having a projected 4 to 6 week recovery time...sooo......
this means i am going to have a lot of time on my hands to get immersed back in the game..so the question i have is this...where do we stand with the mod, what direction are we going?
im looking forward to getting back in the homeworld 'verse
downloading the remastered versions tomorrow
if anyone could give me a briefing, i would appreciate it
i see a lot of potential still in the games in the homeworld universe

good to be back!

Jump to Forum: