View Thread

Print Thread
Changing damage of ships.
Tristan
I've begun tweaking with the PDSv11 files, to try and experiment by balancing ships in certain ways. (ie, inexpensive, fast building fighters, more expensive cap ships for more strikecraft centric fighting, and vice-versa.) All I've really been able to do thus far is change armor, cost and build-time however. I'm looking to take this a step further and try and muss around with weapons and damage.

But there is no damage stat? There are just weapon references in the ship files. When I open the cooresponding weapon file, I find no damage modifier, either. Or if there is a modifier, I don't know which it is since there is no label.

Can anyone help me out? SRI-Sajuuk man! Come on I know you can!

(my rebalancing/altering the mod is intended solely for personal use, and I'd never give out the altered files without the expressed consent of Tel and company.)

SRI-Sajuuk
you rang? well, the damge stats are towards the top of the ship files, ill use an example of the new keeper vessel:

Download source  Code
--Copyright Tanner "Sajuuk" Mckenney 2007
NewShipType = StartShipConfig()
NewShipType.displayedName = "$1700"
NewShipType.sobDescription = "Light Capital Ship"
NewShipType.maxhealth = 5000000 <-----Health
NewShipType.regentime = 600 <---Regeneration on its own
NewShipType.minRegenTime = 450 <---repair with Repair ships
NewShipType.sideArmourDamage = 1.2 <---side armor Damage time(Percent)
NewShipType.rearArmourDamage = 1.4 <---rear Damage (Percent)
NewShipType.isTransferable = 0
NewShipType.useEngagementRanges = 1
NewShipType.unitCapsNumber = 1
NewShipType.paradeData = "kpr_destroyer_parade"

And for weapon Damages:

Download source  Code
StartWeaponConfig(NewWeaponType, "Gimble", "InstantHit", "Super_Beam", "Normal", 0, 10000, 0, 8, 4, 0, 20, 0, 1, 10, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.1, "Enhanced", 1, 0, 1000000)
AddWeaponResult(NewWeaponType, "Hit", "DamageHealth", "Target", 270000, 270000, "") <------Your Incured Damage
AddWeaponResult(NewWeaponType, "Hit", "Push", "Target", 100, 100, "")
setPenetration(NewWeaponType, 100, 1,
{
    PlanetKillerArmour = 0,
},
{
    SubSystemArmour = 0.3,
},
{
    MoverArmour = 6, })
setAccuracy(NewWeaponType, 1,
{
    Fighter = 0,
},
{
    Corvette = 0,
},
{
    munition = 0,
},
{
    frigate = 0, })
setAngles(NewWeaponType, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0)

(I gave you both just incase you need over switches) :wink:
Edited by SRI-Sajuuk on 09-08-2007 05:27
Containment protocols enabled...

Tristan
Thanks. But how do I change something that has no damagehealth modifier?

For instance;

StartWeaponConfig(NewWeaponType,"Fixed","Missile","hgn_nucleardrone","Normal",50,12000,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,12,0,0,0,0,30,25,0.1,"Normal",0,0,0)
AddWeaponResult(NewWeaponType,"Miss","SpawnWeaponFire","Target",0,0,"hm1_burst"Wink
AddWeaponResult(NewWeaponType,"Hit","SpawnWeaponFire","Target",0,0,"hm1_burst"Wink
setPenetration(NewWeaponType,90,1,{
PlanetKillerArmour = 0,
})
setAccuracy(NewWeaponType,1,{
Munition = 0,
},{
Fighter = 0,
})
setAngles(NewWeaponType,180,0,0,0,0)
setMiscValues(NewWeaponType,0,1.5)

From the vgr_kaitenx4.wepn file.

SRI-Sajuuk
well that has no damage because its jsut a payload that splits off int o small rockets. (Like stages in the Saturn V rocket). but, you would simply add that switch.

Tristan
Ah okay. Thanks a lot.

I've been buffing the hell out of the fixed plasma lances. Now I can actually notice the damage they're inflicting. Awesome!

Out of curiousity, what's the difference between the two damage numbers? All I've been doing is making the second one greater than the first by one or two thousand.

SRI-Sajuuk
Max\min i think

Tristan
Hmm, okay. How do I make a new purchasable ship? I'm trying to put the old imperator carrier back into play, heh. Maybe revive the witchhunter!

I tried adding it to the build script using the other ships as an example but nothing happened.

SRI-Sajuuk
post up your ship script. then your Build script file. or, if you have an MSN account, add mine

EDIT: check your Display family first. make sure it says capital! and check your Display priority in the build.lua. it maybe conflicting with another ship.
Edited by SRI-Sajuuk on 09-08-2007 07:16

Tristan
Out of curiousity, if I decrease the squadron size, is the damage dealt per ship increased? And if I increase it, is the damage spread out?

For instance, if I drop the Cutlass squadron from 5 ships to 1, would that 1 ship have the damage of all 5 ships combine? (but the armor of only 1.)

TelQuessir
Damage dealt depends on individual ships. That means your single ship Cutlass unit will do one fifth of the flight's damage.

Returned to active duty 021108

Tristan
TelQuessir wrote:
Damage dealt depends on individual ships. That means your single ship Cutlass unit will do one fifth of the flight's damage.

Hmm. Right, but if I were to go into the .ship file, and reduce the squadron size, would the damage be decreased, or would it remain the same, just more focused with each individual craft?

Tristan
Hmm just figured it out for myself with a short test. Sorry to of troubled you! I should've done that in the first place, heh.

TelQuessir
Sorry to of troubled you!

I like it when you pretend to fear me (sarcasm)

You won't learn if you don't open your golden mouth, that's what the mistress of my establishment tells everyone.
Returned to active duty 021108

Tristan
So, I added some pretty significant changes, that I think work perfectly with the current AI and with big maps.

I changed all heavy missile type weapon ranges to a whopping 20,000. This includes torpedoes, Ansaar class heavy missiles, Taiidani nuclear/anti-matter missiles, Hiigaran Drone missiles, Vagyr Kaitens, and Vaygr Missile corvette light missiles (to keep them as long-range support units.). Since most of these weapons are unguided, or guided but with long reload times/negligible damage, they'll be kept in a purely first-strike/supportive role. They take a lot of coordination to use to their full capability, but if used right, you can defeat most of an enemy's fleet before they engage in close-range attacking by dancing on the very edge of acquisition range. Ansaar and Hydra class frigates were made particularly unique in their usefulness by this change.

I changed most light, fast tracking missiles to a range of 15,000. Keeping them balanced mostly for dog-fights, but still sensibile to use in some first-strike capacity.

All pulsars/lasers/flak cannons/burst cannons/etc are maintaining their mid-range capability. I felt that altering that would make the current AI used by ships a bit nonsensical, since almost all AI is based around these weapons. Their Damage-Per-Second is comparatively high in relation to the long-range weapons, but of course, lack the range and initial burst power.

I upped the damage of plasma lances a lot. A lot. ... A lot. Units using plasma lances now have a role more akin to close-range death-dealer. However, the amount of energy and mass space devoted to these potent weapons either lessens the armor or drive capability of said ships. Or a mixture of both. Turreted plasma have significantly less damage than fixed, but still deal a lot more damage than they do now. Vagyr plasma frigates were made useful by this change. The mou'damar class destroyer becomes a formidable damage-dealer, however retains its very high amount of frailty.

I decreased the range of ions by a bit, but increased the damage by a bit as well. They pretty much retain their current role, as primary turreted damage-dealer.

As such, I also changed the price/build-time of almost every ship. Like mentioned above, fighter/corvettes/frigates are a bit cheaper. Cap ships are a bit more expensive. The most noticable changes in price is in the Majirian, the Queen of the Damned, the Prince of Hiigara, the Star Centurian and the Gladiator. All which benefit significantly from these changes if piloted well. (with missile spamming and all.)

I decreased the cost of utility craft by a lot, as well as the build-time. As it's quite easy to snipe the enemy's resource operations with a few well-placed nukes. I might increase the armor later. Still unsure.

The game play, in my opinion, involves a good deal more micro-managing. Especially if you're constantly trying to make full use of missile acquisition range and the full extent of plasma/ionic power. Admittedly the skirmish is a bit easier, since the enemy AI uses the typical mid-range only strategy, but it's still very challenging on expert. Overall, ship survivability has decreased.

So, what do you guys think based on what I've said so far? I probably won't put up a DL, since it's mainly for my own entertainment. (and since it's really easy to do yourself if you cared enough to.) Just curious in regards to the ideas.
Edited by Tristan on 14-08-2007 01:57

SRI-Sajuuk
upload it. i have to see this

Jump to Forum: